This easy design is actually a one piece raglan! By using sport weight yarn and
large hooks like “N” and “K”, this fast sweater is a light addition to any new baby’s wardrobe.
Sizes: Newborn & 6 months
Jo Goff tried this sweater, with G and H hooks and Bernat softee yarn. “This produced a beautiful preemie sweater” she says. The size was: chest 7 1/2″ & length 8″. Thanks so much, Jo, for testing the pattern! 🙂
NOTE: To make a 6 month size, follow all directions and hook sizes EXACTLY! EXCEPT, use worsted weight yarn through out instead of sport weight.
Measurements when made with sport weight yarn:
Chest= 20″ | From sleeve to sleeve (flat)= 17″ across | From collar base down= 9 1/2″
Sport weight yarn(I used 3-ply Red Heart for sweater in the picture): MC-3.5 OZ |CC-1 OZ)
Crochet hook sizes: I,K,N
5 Buttons (3/4″)-Thread and needle to sew them with
With ” K” hook, 3 sts=1″
With “N” hook, 5 sts=2″
NOTE: CH 2 counts as first st of row.
WITH “K” hook and MC sport weight yarn, Ch 29
1. Sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 2, turn (28 sc)
2. HDC in next 3 sts, 3 hdc in next st, HDC in next 4 sts, 3 hdc in next st. HDC in next 8 sts, 3 hdc in next st, HDC in next 4 sts, 3 hdc in next st, HDC in last 4 sts. Ch 2, turn (Refer to diagram below for st placement of this row ONLY. The 28 sts are from row 1, before the 3hdc increases for the corners).
3-6. Hdc in each st across, putting 3 Hdc in middle st of each corner. Ch 2, turn
7. Hdc each st to first corner, middle st. Ch 2, skipping sts in between, hdc in middle hdc of next corner. Hdc across back to middle hdc st of corner. Ch 2, Skipping sts in between, hdc in middle hdc of next corner. Hdc across front to end. Ch 1, Turn. DO NOT FASTEN OFF!
8-21: Using “N” hook, Sc in each st across.Ch 1, turn
22: With CC, sc in first 2 sts, [work bubble in NEXT st as follows (*YO, insert hook into st, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through 2 loops. REP * for a total of 4 times. YO an draw through the 5 loops on hook.). Sc in next 2 sts.] Rep [brackets] across. Ch 1
23: With MC, sc across. Ch 2, turn
24: Hdc across. Fasten off.
SLEEEVES (Do not turn these rnds.)
Attach MC yarn and with “K” hook to middle st of underarm with sl st, ch 2, Hdc around (I got 20 sts around). Join to top of ch 2.
Next 5 rnds: Ch 2, Hdc in each st around. Join to ch 2.
Next 2 rnds: Change to I hook, Ch 1 and work sc’s around. Join. Fasten of at end of last rnd.
1. With “I” hook, and CC yarn, attach with sl st to any st. ch 1, sc in same st and *sc in next 4 sts, sc next 2 tog. Rep * around. join. CH 1, do not turn
2. *Sc in next 3 sts, sc next 2 tog. Rep * around. Join, fasten off.
REP all of “SLEEVES” for other sleeve.
EDGING AND BOTTON HOLES
1. (RS)Attatch CC and with “I” hook to top right side of sweater front. (Decide which side will be right side(RS) and work the following row with RS facing). Sc down the front, putting 29 sc. Work 3 sc in corner. Sc around buttom, 3 sc in next corner. 29 sc up on other side. Ch 1, TURN (WS).
2. (WS) Work across this front and the bottom in sc, do not put any extra sts in the corner turns. The large hook will keep it from curling. When you get to the other side, at that other front’s corner, *Ch 1, sk 1 st, sc in next 5 sts. Rep * to top (5 botton holes made. Ch 1, turn.
3.(RS)Sc around ENTIRE sweater edge, putting 3 sc in corners at bottom of sweater, and at top of each fronts. Join, Fasten off.
1. With “K” hook and CC, attatch yarn with sl st to first st of front of neck.(RS or WS facing). Ch 2, hdc in each st of next around to other front corner. Ch 2, turn.
2-6. Hdc in first st and in each st across collar. Ch 2 turn. Fasten off at the end of row 6.