We all see mismatched glassware at Thrift Stores and Yard Sales. But, besides the obvious…what can you do with these old school relics? I have a good friend who inspired me to turn them into functional, one-of-a-kind works of art. So fun.
By taking the coolest and oddest pieces that I can find, some E-6000 & my creativity, I turn the mundane into the extraordinary. You can do it too with a little know-how and patience.
Here is the latest creation that I made for my Mother-In-Law.
It’s a really beautiful crystal plate and 1950’s candle stick re-purposed into a stunning cake stand!
Using E-6000 (industrial strength adhesive), a steady hand and a wicked imagination!
Because, E-6000 is an industrial strength adhesive that when used correctly, CAN permanently bond glass, as well as countless other materials.
This cake stand can be washed, and used over and over! Just don’t put it into the dishwasher. And treat it as you would any other nice glassware. It won’t separate or turn colors.
MY E-6000 TIPS!
- Before using E-6000, make sure that you read the directions.
- VENTILATE! I use fans and work in a large, well ventilated area.
- ALWAYS clean your surface with alcohol and allow to dry before using any glue, but especially before using E-6000 to bond something like glass.
- Apply firm steady pressure and use a weight (like a heavy rock or books) to hold the pieces together for 48 hours.
- Use Alcohol and a Q-Tip, paint brush or cloth to clean up any glue that spills through edges while applying pressure.
- Do NOT move the piece around until the 48 hours have passed, to ensure that the pieces don’t slide apart or get air bubbles inside.
- It is extremely important that the E-6000 forms a tight seal with no air bubbles, or else water will be able to get inside and your permanent seal will only be temporary.
- Get creative and think outside the box. I’m sure you can build some amazing pieces too!